Saturday 20 April 2013

R is for Receive. Healing with words. Day 18. #atozchallenge

Receive |riˈsēv|verb [ trans. ]be given, presented with, or paid 

Receive was another card that always felt like a gift. Unlike the word embrace which is similar, receive always made me feel I just had to stand still and accept what was being given to me, let them be generous, kind, caring -  it is not a commitment or an obligation to give something in return, whether it's unexpected or sought after you are being honoured and your efforts rewarded, just accept it with gratitude and without fuss. I was nominated for 2 Leibster awards this week. So clearly Receive is the obvious choice for today's word.

The first nomination was from Me, that's her user name but we can call her Sheethal,  and here is her blog Scribblings, she's been keeping a journal since the fifth grade, and I'm thrilled she answered my secret wish to get one of these awards, please pop over and see what she's been up to.

For those of you that don't know Leibster is a German word meaning favourite or lovely.

If you are nominated to receive the award you nominate 11 other bloggers (with fewer than 200 followers) and ask them 11 questions, as well as post 11 random facts about yourself and finally, answer the 11 questions asked by the person that nominated you.. (don't worry it's long but it gets easier to understand as you scroll down.)

That's a lot of 11's - but somehow I messed it up and thought it was 15 of everything, and I just can't bare to delete any of the nominees so I stuck with original draft   - If you have been nominated by me you can just choose 11.  If you decide to do the post let me know when you have posted so I can read all of your answers too.

The second one I received was from Brandy at Brandy's bustlings, but I will accept hers after the challenge, which means I get to nominate 11 more people that I couldn't fit on the list this time, there are so many of you that have made my adventure into blogging an amazing experience,  I wish I could have chosen many more.

Answer 15 questions from the person who nominated you.

1. What was your childhood ambition?
Apart from winning everything, I wanted to be an Actress, Teacher, Writer, Olympian, Prime-minister and loved.

2. Did you ever wish to have a different name? If, then what's that?
I used to say Lola Serene would be my stage or pen name, the older I get the more I enjoy my name.

3. If you were the most powerful person in the world, what could you do?
World peace of course (the no weapons kind) - teach awareness and kindness

4. Who's your favourite author?
... whoever I'm reading at the time

5. Sea or mountains? Day or Night? 
The easy answer to this question is all of the above in any combination

6. If you could trade place with anyone for a day, who could it be?
Anyone flying first class when I'm in economy

7. What's your most precious childhood memory?
Nailing that back flip in one smooth move.

8. Tell me something which you could like to share with me?
A feeling of great appreciation for nominating me, and all the words on my blog  

9. What three words best describes you?
In a random survey in nursing school my fellow students described me as knowledgeable (twice) and funny, I would add empathic for number 3

10. What made you start blogging?
Because I finally had the time to write, to share and discover something new, and the #atozchallenge

11. If you could three wishes, what would they be?
One wish. Grant me the power to grant wishes.

15 things you didn't know about me...

1) I spelt knowledgeable wrong the first time I typed it 

2) I have dreams of celebrities and presidents, two of them happened the night before they died and I have had conversations with dead people. 

3)  I was so nervous at my sisters wedding, that I nearly had laughing fit while I was doing the gospel reading.

4)  I have nursed families while there loved one's died, have been present when a death is announced, bathed and dressed dead bodies, called for help after someone died and watched them be revived. I've also seen a fatal bus accident, but I have never been with a person when they die.

5) Everybody should learn basic First Aid. I have used back slapping and/or the Heimlich manoeuvre on 3 people that were choking, one was a child (scariest minutes of my life)...all survived, and knowing that I could help a 4 year old that was crushed and passed out, a long way from a hospital -  felt a lot better than being helpless.  I spelt resuscitating wrong too

6) My mother says our name means; A key to the mind. The only other Italian definition I can find  One who (Chi a), Launches (varo) 

7) I've seen a bowling ball sized fire ball/comet(?) flying through the sky about 200 meters above my head, a perfect rainbow around the moon, a dark red moon, a green sunset, a triple rainbow and many other stunning vistas.

8) I think limerence is a great word to describe my behaviour in two of my past relationships.

9) I have been a bridesmaid and a best man at friends weddings.

10) I have the open ends of pillow cases facing each other, because I like to think they represent mouths, and that it encourages communication (quirky)

11) The dog that helped save my life, died in my arms, I still dream about him too.

12) I have helped two women through long labours and have cut an umbilical cord.

13) Sometimes I manage to look good, but I am guilty of more fashion faux pas than almost anyone I know.

14) My mother taught me to stay close to teachers, my father taught me that every problem can be solved with a walk through a garden or writing. 

15) ... and in keeping with the theme of receive - the nicest thing anyone ever taught me is that when you receive a compliment just say thank you and receive it with out any fuss, just because it gives that person permission to keep being kind.



15 questions for the people I have nominated are:

1) What is the nicest thing anyone ever said to you?

2) Something your parents taught you? 

3) Have you  ever dreamed of celebrities or famous people?

4) Do you have any quirks, rituals or superstitions?

5)  What's the most amazing thing you have seen in the sky?

6) What's the craziest thing you have done with your hair?

7) Have you ever seen a baby being born?

8) Have you ever been with someone when they died?

9) Have you ever had a strange experience that you just can't explain?

10) Are you an excellent speller, bad speller, or thought you were good but use spell check a lot?

11) Do you have/have had any pet('s), pick a favourite. 

13) What was the last thing you said out loud?

14) Where are you sitting while writing this?

15) What does your name/names mean?


drum roll please... the people I have nominated are:

Miss Bates at embrace.yourself  is alliterating her way through the alphabet, her posts are short and nothing short of genius and you will probably need a dictionary.

The guide to everything Tash Bing - An inspiring real life story of coming from nothing to something, and one to watch in the near future

Pass the sour cream Bradley made a video, after seeing a comment on one of my posts, to teach me how to do links, he writes everyday and his posts are genuine and sweet. You'll find it under his B for Benevolent post

Melch at Mental Indigestion - If I have 20 blogs in my email to read I will read this one first, her creative writing is some of the best I have seen since this challenge began.

Mel at the drafty garret Ok so she's not doing the challenge any more but I met her through it and she has one of the prettiest pages I have ever seen. She is also thoughtful, a great writer and artist

Zoe at rewritten I love this woman's comments on my blog and she has practically been on the ride with me since day 1 of the challenge.

Susan Scott at the Garden of Eden -  who is so wise and a master of the written word and tackles some heavy subjects with a fine perception

Susan Taylor at siouxsiesmusings - Witty, well written thought provoking posts and also a great contributor to the comments on my blog

Short story ideas  If you are writer this theme gives you lots of activities to do, and I really want to go back after the challenge is over and tackle a few of them.

Heidi Mann at the enchanted pen If you want to learn how to write here she is.

Write backwards  If you visit LadyJai's post everyday of the challenge, and you will find a little post it note of positivity and inspiration

BudhaKat and her amazing fractal works of art that make me go wow, every time I see them. 

Sweet tea and sunshine, she's a happy foodie that has left some great comments on my posts we both did Q for quotes, she really is sunny.

Another clean slate - another great writer who lives in Boston and actually had two crappy days this week so I'd just love to give her something.   Ok I am deleting her because she has received 7 but she is amazing.

Ermie - on the run from the google police in Abroad, this is another example of creative writing that has made me laugh a lot.

Emilie Hardy  Just reading her posts makes me a better writer - just reading her titles makes me a better writer.  There's a wealth of knowledge right there for everyone to see.

I hope you get a chance to visit their blogs. If I nominated you it's not a requirement that you do this, it's a choice.

If you made it all the way to here I thank you and commend you.  The Leibster award is perfect example of receiving in blog land, not only do I feel honoured to be chosen, I hope that the spirit of sharing, giving and receiving continues long after the challenge.

If you want to leave a comment but don't know what to say, just say Hi.

'Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it' - thanks brainy quote

Just say thank you.

***

Find out how I chose my theme by reading the intro blog A-Z challenge list. Words of change.  Please add more words to the list in the comments - and with gratitude, I'll link your words back to you.










32 comments:

  1. Ida, this is such a wonderful post thank you and I very honoured to be selected by you! Thank you thank you so much! I will definitely visit the ones you have mentioned above. I am still thinking about my R as I type this - maybe driving out just now to do some shopping in the cold and rain will bring me some ideas .. and hopefully on the weekend I will be able to follow through with nominations etc.
    Funny how receiving is sometimes harder than giving - mmmm, MAYBE I'll have a look at that - though as someone said, just say 'thank you'. The Tagore quote is beautiful thank you!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Susan Scott’s Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your webpage link on your blogger profile page works - it's the one under my blogs that is sending me to the no posts page

      Delete
  2. I loved all your answers, questions and how you nominated others describing their blog. And esp those facts about you. never could have guessed any one of them. Great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Thank you Ida.
    Sure means a lot to be nominated for such a gracious award.

    I LOVE YOUR BLOG. Each day I wake with excitement and begin reading. (Ok, maybe i don't jump out of bed, but I keep the computer close so I can snuggle back in and enjoy your posts)
    I shall gladly receive this award and post it after the A-Z Challenge is over.
    Since it kind of doesn't go with the theme I'm going for (and no I'm not even gonna try to do it in theme! hahaha)

    Its always harder to receive than it is to give.
    But giving is much more rewarding than taking.
    So, I think when you receive a compliment, you should give one back (not immediately but one day!)
    Thank you for writing, and don't ever stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect anyone to give me a compliment in return, but i do hope they feel encouraged to give them to others ... :) I can't wait to read your questions :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Mel, I can feel your smiles and that makes me happy. I can't wait to read your answers, make sure you let me know when you post it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on being awarded :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really difficult to just say thanks and remain open to receive in the intention things are given. (Look at all those Rs and I wasnt even trying.) Its something I am continually having to work at, as like most people I am a caretaker and tend toward the giving. So that said....thanks for the Liebster!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I didnt get to finish...Skip just sat on my keyboard and his bumm sent my last comment off without the rest! ANYHOO...congrats on your award and I wanted to say it has been a great pleasure to be with you from the start. I was trying to recall how I stumbled upon you and cant but am happy that I did. We have a few commonalities I believe. Thanks again! Wait I have to find skip and teach him to send on command now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see what you come up with Benevolent Bradley :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one more to do after the challenge and was going to wait to do both, but it just seemed so fitting to do it for R for Receive day... I would love to see the results of yours, I'll be checking in after May... as well as for more of your A-Z posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tayla, I love it when new people find me that I haven't visited first... I'm heading over to you now. I hope you enjoy the blogs of the people I nominated and that we can all receive something from each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed out loud when I read your #6 answer to Susan's question and I agree so much with your random fact #15. I have taken to doing random acts of kindness (RAKing) as a hobby and as I prepared to do 29 on Jan 29 for my 29th birthday an article about receiving was brought to my attention. It discussed how instead of saying things like "o, you really didn't have to do that," we should just say thank you. Period. We should let people be kind to us and leave it at that. My receiving skills are something I am working on, but I am getting better. With that said, thank you so much for the compliment you left on my Q post. I am very glad to have made such a swell e-friend in you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your 29 idea.. I especially love that just before you didi it you received a valuable life lesson, from someones words. When I first saw the number 6 question my immediate reaction was no-one... and as I was about type out another 'I'm happy with me' answer I remembered the one time we were upgraded on our way to Paris, it's a different world... I don't think that answer will ever change... :)

      Delete
  12. I love that: 'e-quaintance', you are most welcome, it truly has been an is a pleasure. Remember to let me know I am sure your questions and answers will be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did mine...but only half way ;) http://melch.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/leibster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great effort Mel.. I love knowing you are a mama bear :)

      Delete
  14. Congrats on your award! It is also my secret wish to get one someday.

    I haven't dreamt of celebrities but I once dreamt of my teacher the night before he died.

    Deecoded

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your awards!Sometimes it's hard to receive a compliment; I never seem to know what to say, even though I'm happy to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved reading all about you and I am so happy you and your true love are together! Life is too short to not be with the person you love. I am also a nurse I worked in the Operating Room for the last 15 years and love it!
    Congratulations on your award and I hope you are enjoying the A to Z Challenge!
    Monica at Older Mommy Still Yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica. I did some training but never worked in an operating room, I think I would have loved it too. Much respect to you, 15 years is a long time I sure you have many amazing stories. Thanks for commenting one of the things I love about this challenge is now I get to pop over and find something to love about you. :)

      Delete
  17. Don't hate me!!! But I nominated you for yet another Blogger Award! You inspire Me. So you are nominated for the "Very Inspiring Blogger Award"! :)

    -Check my blog for rules and details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet of you too. And you can take all the time in the world to complete this. :)

      Delete
  18. Congratulations! It's great to learn more about you.
    Connie
    A to Z-ing to the end
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Still working on it. You didn't warn us how much work it would be ... oh wait, you did. "Good work" though, like when you go running: you know you should do it, but it's going to hurt, but you're glad you did it afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your award. Love the answers to questions 4, very interesting & 9, best man huh? :)

    Shirletta @ Shirleyisnotmyname

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirletta, I love your name it reminds me of my Mum and my nicknames put together. My very close friend asked me to his best man instead of asking one of his male friends, we have been close since we were teenagers. It was very funny because I was doing his wife's makeup in the morning, and driving her to the wedding, her sister was her matron of honour. In my speech I said it was because he has too many close male friends to chose just one. I am god-mother to their first child and they now have 3 kids, who are all coming to visit this Summer.... I can't wait.

      Delete
  21. Love learning more about people I meat. So awesome. I wanted to do this sooner, but life...you know....got in the way. So, now I'm stopping by to thank you for the nomination. I've done something similar to this a while back.

    I may have to answer these (and link to others I've received), they do sound like I will be bashing my brain and pulling my hair out trying to remember some of them. :) So keep an eye out for my post. I think it might be next month, though, with all these A to Z posts going out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://writebackwards.we3dements.com/wordpress/2013/05/02/the-liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous. How exciting. Thanks for letting me know i'm on my way..

      Delete
  23. Good answers, Ida.

    Between sea and mountain, I'd have to pick the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been known what I prefer. My ma and pa were born in a region of Italy where man is a part of the mountains, and i can feel their chalk in my bones, but I sailed around the world and grew up by the water, I have salt in my veins, now I live on steep block of land overlooking a water and a forest. I guess that just proves even if we are undecided we can be surrounded by everything we love.

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.