Tuesday 16 April 2013

O is for OK, Okay? Healing with words. Day 15. #atozchallenge

OK (also okay |ˈōˈkā|informal
exclamationused to express assent, agreement, or acceptance• used to introduce an utteranceadjectivesatisfactory but not exceptionally or especially good.• (of a person) in a satisfactory physical or mental state.• permissible; allowableadverbin a satisfactory manner or to a satisfactory extent.noun an authorization or approval.verb ( OK's, OK'd, OK'ing)sanction or give approval to.

O is another letter that is not represented in my deck of cards, and that is perfectly OK with me.

Okidoke, a google search of OK led me to this site, it has my three favourite explanations. Ok's origins and how it became popular are unknown and many. 

OK or Okay has it's own hand gesture, and it varies from nation to nation. There aren't too many words that can claim that victory.  I can think of one other word that's also an adverb, adjective, verb, noun, informal exclamation and a question. It's just as widely used and recognised, on a global scale, as OK - but I'm pretty sure it will potentially land you in more trouble than the two simple letters OK ever will, sometimes it's just the perfect word, other times it the human version of growling.

My three favourite origins and or reasons OK became so popular are: 

  1. Au quai:  Translates to: At Quay (otherwise known as,  a dock or harbour). Pronounced O K and after months of orienteering on open oceans the dock was an OK place for sailors to be.  They were the world's first global travellers (I think), so it makes sense (to me) that they spread it from quay to quay.
  2. During the 1st world war, the daily death tally was written on a board. Zero killed was 0-Killed, abbreviated to OK, which was obviously an OK day 
  3. The Greek word Ola Kala which translates to 'all right'. Greeks are responsible for the origin of many words, and rumour has it that Ola Kala was shortened to OK in Australia, (Melbourne has the third largest Greek population in the world) and in Australia, if a word can be shortened, it will be.
Now there's an idea, I could do Aussie Slang for next years challenge, OK?

I do wonder if OK was just another onomatopoeia, two simple letters used to describe a popular sound, from one time or another.  In language there are always so many changes.  The most recent in texting vernacular has shortened OK to just k and OK is fast becoming Only Kidding.

Can you think of any more O onomatopoeia words?
Oh
Oh-oh
Oink 
Ouch
Ooze
Ow

It's far from from divine, but OK is just fine.

 Thanks marcandangel.com 
***

Find out how I chose my theme by reading my intro blog A-Z challenge list. Words of change.  You can add more words to the list by leaving a comment - and I'll add a link to your blog to return the favour.

25 comments:

  1. OK or Okay, Ida, sorry about not commenting on your previous post. I had um nothing to add :)

    Ooh, this was a great post. O, I think I'm OK.

    Gidday, Ida.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi Gary, that's perfectly Ok - ooh ooh o o it's G'day where I come from. :D

      Delete
  2. Love knowing how okay originated! Fun to know these little facts- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like your A toZ theme! Okay is a fun word to learn more about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew the word Okay had so much going for it ? :)

    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge
    AZ blogs on Social Media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It packs a lot of punch for such a small word ;) In a round-a-bout kind of why, your pic today has a similar message to the quote I used. I love that :)

      Delete
  5. Whadda bonza story mate. I think I remember reading about it in one of your posts, I can't remember if I said to you, that once your feet land on Australian soil, you become a part of her and she becomes a part of you. I'm a Melbourne girl but every speck of dust from the red centre to the coast is home to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I some how love typing ok as AUKAY :D
    Good one Ida :)
    Fellow A to Zer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you are tapping into the french connection, it makes sense to me.

      Delete
  7. Interesting to realise where the word may have originated from. I would usually use it as an agreement or acknowledgement. I like the No. 2 explanation. of 0-kills making it an OK day. Now that I would agree with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that it's how the word became more globally popular, but it's recorded in other places long before then. I used it as a question a lot too. Okay?

      Delete
  8. I've always liked Ned Flanders version of this. Okiliy Dokiliy! :D

    http://thenovabug-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Chris, I didn't even think of that - I grew up in a town called Oakleigh, It used to like saying it was okiliy dokiliy living locally in Oakleigh :D

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, the Ned Flanders version...

      I'm hearing Homer muttering, "Stupid Flanders."

      Delete
  9. Sorry my brain can't think of any.Well thought out post though.
    Anne/Is Anyone There

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, my brain couldn't think of many either, it's amazing how google can make us look brainier than we really are sometimes :)

      Delete
  10. It's a bit like saying fine when you're not. The opposite of Ok is KO'ed... maybe that's a better answer. I am actually now thinking of all the times I have been upset and growled OK OK I'll do it, OK! (next years challenge I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This version makes me think if I ever had a donkey I would name him Okey-dokey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore onomatopoeia and the second origin of "ok" is my favorite!

    I know that you've already been nominated, but I really wanted to shout out to you again so I included you in my nominations for The Leibster Blog Award. I don't think you have to go through the whole process again, but it would fun for you to answer my questions at least!

    http://brandysbustlings.blogspot.ca/2013/04/i-got-liebster-blog-award.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, it's even more precious to me that you decided to nominate me even though you knew I just got one... I loved all your answers and questions and I'll get onto accepting as soon the challenge is over... thank you thank you thank you ;)

      Delete
  13. This post was OK, Ida! I've used that word too many times to say something was ok that wasn't really. :-( But as a word of assent, agreement, I love it! I particularly like Okey dokes.

    SiouxsiesMusings

    #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point you and Miss Bates have made, I guess it's one of those words that can change meaning with just the tone of our voices... I can't say I have ever held back and let people think I'm ok when I'm not, but I have learnt to be much more tactful over the years.

      Delete
  14. Hi Ida, I lived in Melbourne for a year and I absolutely love what you said about the 3rd definition of OK - all about efficiency eh? The words on the poster spoke to me, thank you for sharing that :)

    I'm definitely OK with OK....and the OK origins are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great Saumya, I learned a lot to and it's just from one simple word.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ida .. my mother in her hospital bed hated 'ok' because it didn't mean anything - said way too often and without any heart felt meaning .. and we do answer ok ---- when ok we are definitely not. No-one stops to clarify the received message, especially when it's said without any verve, meaning etc etc ..

    I can quite understand my mother's thought process .. I tried to avoid it, but am not sure I did too well .. but the main thing was she was relatively content considering all things.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.