Sunday 20 April 2014

26 Greatest loves of my life - Reflexology. #atozchallenge



Happy feet. Happy people.

There are points on the feet that relate to the whole body. They are called reflexes. Reflexology is the study of those reflexes

The first time I tried Reflexology I didn't get excited but I was impressed that the Reflexologist could tell I had back trouble and hormonal issues, just from touching my feet.

I never saw her again, but I decided I wanted to know what she knew.

A step in the right direction.

I eventually enrolled at the Australian School of Reflexology and Relaxation. In 2003 I won Student of the year and the Trevor Steele memorial award. Since then I have worked with both longterm and short-term clients, sometimes as little as a few minutes.

I can tell a lot from your feet and hands.

The problem(s) with Reflexology.


MRI scans have shown the optical nerve light up when the eye reflex is worked, but there is no exacting science that proves there is a link between the point on your foot to the organ we say it is.

The other huge problem is there is no definitive map of the feet. They vary as much as the humans that produce them. Though, they are similar in sections. The toes generally represent the head, the balls are the upper torso, the arch - mid torso and the heels map the pelvis.  The left foot is the left side of the body. Right foot, right side. But our brain controls the opposite side of the body so I question this, at least for the brain reflex.



We disagree about firm pressure, gentle pressure or intuiting client needs. Sequences differ, as do the descriptions of how they work and what they are capable of.

There isn't enough research.

There's also the placebo effect to consider.

It doesn't alway fix what you want it to, sometimes it doesn't seem to work at all.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that a lot of people don't love their feet.

What I love about Reflexology is:


It gives me a reason to lay my hands on people, soul to sole.

In the beginning I keep an eye on the time. I treat both feet wholly and equally from top to bottom. I determine the primary reason for the visit and adapt a plan to suit it. We discover areas of tension and points that are sensitive or painful together. I let the feet tell their story. Every pair of feet have a story.

If your curious I explain as much as I can. Most of the time clients fall asleep, so I wait. I want it to be therapeutic and feel good. I compare the before and after of the feet and the way you walk and talk. I ask that you to do the same.

It's a complimentary medicine.  I've seen it reduce swelling, pain, asthma attacks and the heart rates of mothers-to-be and their unborn children. I've seen it improve sleep patterns, blood pressure and bowel movements. I know therapists who have built successful clinics treating allergies, childhood bedwetting and hormonal imbalance/fertility problems. Time and time again I've seen it reduce stress.

Positive research has shown the benefits of it's use in cancer treatment and palliative care.

It is an ancient therapy and both a science and an art.

Even if you don't like your feet, it feels good.  Just like pedicures or foot baths feel good. Only better.

I found it at a time in my life when my head and heart were to messed up to make any sense of the world around me. It grounded me.

My pudgy, curled up, ugly toes lengthened and became beautiful. Seriously I went up a shoe size.

Have you ever tried Reflexology? Are you a foot lover or hater?



***


Nurture your soles. Nurture your soul (or at least have a foot bath.)


***

I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Read more about:

 The A to Z challenge.  My theme and links to all 26 Greatest loves of my life.


11 comments:

  1. It's certainly something I haven't tried out as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly like reading the 'as of yet'

      Delete
  2. Hi Sophie, I would go so far as to say that perhaps you attracted that instructor because his attitude may have matched yours. In so much as regardless of the talipes you carried on as normal...When working on people with amputated limbs I work the stump as if it were a whole foot or hand, the energy is still there. Clearly you can't place your heel on the ground but the part that touches the ground bears all your energy, as would a stump.

    You are right in what you say about conduits. As far as the map goes, much to the disdain of the reflexologists around the world that are definitive in their approach, I would have to say your guess is as good as mine. I work with energy. If there is unnecessary tension or disharmony my aim is to ease it. The body is perfectly capable of balancing itself, sometimes we get in our own way and need help to take a step in the right direction. I hope this answers your questions feel free to ask more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to try reflexology Ida - actually I think the hubs could benefit from it too based on what you've said. I'm curious - your feet changed shape? I have really bony feet and I'm sort of shy about them because a couple of people have actually asked me if I have bunions! EW! I've always had bony feet and didn't really know what bunions were until that happened... but do you think it could change the shape of my feet too? Or like, how does that work?
    Thanks Ida! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: 'sole to soul?' beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good gate crasher :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend has gotten reflexology treatments. She talked to me about it and I thought I would give it a try. Then she went on about how militant the reflexologist was and how I would be sore for a few days afterwards. NO thank you. I think I should try another person though. I don't think YOU would hurt a fly, but I don't think your fingers could reach my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ida im so behind....perhaps some reflexology for stamina? ?? I have to say in PT was not fond of feet butrealezed they were key to soooooo many issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met her! Some years back at a friend's lunch party. I'll be seeing that friend this weekend (we're climbing mountains) and I'll ask her about Chris Stormer's contact details. Thanks Ida - will report back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lilica. I think the easiest way to learn to love your feet is to imagine life without them...they are able to sense the environment around them, no other part of the body has as many bones and muscles or nerve endings... the more you pamper them the more you love them :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.