Friday 25 April 2014

26 Great Loves of my life - Let's call them Wazza and Wyn... #atozchallenge



Wazza was a bonzer bloke. He didn't just help frail old ladies across the road, he carried them. He was a sculptor of metal and concrete, and a jack-of-all trades. Wyn was a marine steward whose car needed some minor repairs. Always on the look out to save some money she offered to clean his office in exchange for his time.

It was lust at first barter. The bingle that could have been fixed in a few hours ended up taking much longer. After all the cleaning and repairs were done Wazza personally delivered her fully re-sprayed good as new car to her apartment. She cooked him mango stuffed chicken breasts with a melody of spring vegetables and smashed potatoes.

Life's up and downs had taken their toll on Wyn. She was wary of men and some of their lecherous ways, but this sort of attention couldn't be ignored. Wazza was patient and persistent. After several months, and a few settled blues, they became a couple in love.

A year later he asked her to move into a new house with him. At the slightest suggestion she would think about it, he started moving her furniture out of the apartment. He was brave. At first she worried about protecting her assets then she embraced his enthusiasm. The procrastinator in her was in complete awe.

They moved into a mini mansion with a pool and hosted parties that lasted for days. They endured each others bad habits and encouraged each other to heal old wounds. They argued about manners and the future, sometimes for weeks. It was harsh at times but they always managed to talk about or laugh their problems away.

After a while his almighty laugh began to annoy her and their words became repetitive.



They were both unhappy. He ended the relationship. Wyn hated him for giving up, her family knew nothing of separations, commitments were meant to last. Wazza's family was a web of ex-inlaws and half brothers and sisters. He couldn't understand what she was trying to hold onto.

As the future began to take shape Wyn realised Wazza was right. Their relationship had passed its use by date and she was much better off without him. Wazza was cracking open another stubby when he heard Wyn had found love again.  He was happy for her and proud of his decision.

Have you been guilty of holding onto a person that is holding you back?

Can you look back on your time together and have a good laugh?



***


I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Read more about:

 The A to Z challenge.  My theme and links to all 26 Greatest loves of my life.

10 comments:

  1. This is really good, Ida. Wish I could have read more of your posts in the A-Z. Just overwhelmed with the immensity of it all, and posting the night before (didn't plan ahead this time). Wazza and Wyn seem to have gone the way so many couples go these day. They got bored with each other and didn't know how to fix it. It happens...but like Wyn, I would have been angry Wazza gave up. Maybe they could have made it....I'm an eternal optimist.
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have been overwhelmed this year - Easter smack in the middle didn't help - I have been pumping out posts last minute. I did have some posts done before I started but I have felt behind the whole time. Yes people do give up too easily these days - but the truth is I don't believe all relationships are meant to last - which is one of the reasons I don't understand why so many people are quick to marry...Wyn thought she would have preferred to stay unhappy and in the relationship than ever consider leaving, (worse she felt it was her duty - even though none of her needs were being met) I think Wazza deserves a pat on the back for ending it, otherwise Wyn would never have found true happiness. Sometimes you gotta pull a decaying tooth or it will just get infected, rot and fester.

      Delete
  2. This was really a nice read, Ida. I'm usually in optimist but when it comes to marriage, I'd hate to see somebody put too many years into chasing an unattainable dream. My mother did that, and after 17 years she finally decided to get a divorce. I'm not going to go into her medical problems, but she died quite suddenly not much later. It's sad that it she didn't break free from a failing marriage sooner and find a little joy for herself before her time was up. I dated her did remain friends after the divorce, and I'm thankful for that. After all, he had to finish raising me when she died. By the way, mango-stuffed chicken breasts sounds yummy. I better check our kitchen out – it's about that time. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi debi and thanks your thoughts and mums story. I hope your mother found some joy in her final days.. it must have been a very difficult decision for her, I am not sure I would ever have the guts to leave a marriage (one of the many reasons I have never married.)

      Delete
  3. It was hard enough starting another committed relationship after the ending of my 'thought this was forever' first mistake... I don't think I could ever re-marry. I haven't even been courageous enough to do it once :D - one thing is for sure I am so glad I didn't marry or have children with my ex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ida .. some people can manage to separate and move on without hurting others ... and some just can't see the wood for the messy woodpile in front of them .. and some just don't realise there's something wrong ... so I admire those who can separate and get on with their lives .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, I agree with you. Some love isn't meant to last, which is why I am so curious about people that are quick to marry.

      Delete
  5. I'm lucky, my husband was my first love and I can't imagine either of us ever getting bored with one another, but we make a constant effort to do fun things together and talk about our hopes and dreams. In the last 20 years we have grown a lot as individuals but we are even closer now than on our wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constant effort is key. I believe loves growth is what a real relationship commits too. I often say to The Captain that I love him more than yesterday and less than tomorrow, it took me a while to find him but I feel lucky too.

      Delete
  6. The difference in family backgrounds does effect the decisions you make. This was a lovely Ida. Glad Wyn found love again.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.