Saturday 12 April 2014

26 Greatest loves of my life... Let's call it a Love song. #atozchallenge



I was never a huge fan of love songs. I considered them to be the mid-day soap-operas of music.

Then someone wrote a love song about me, for me, or because of me... He tells that part of the story better.

He was a  super cool neighbour, who became one of my best friends. More times than I can remember he would barge into my apartment, guitar and fresh lyrics in hand.

After he met The Captain he went home and wrote our song.

Here's the acoustic version.



Here's the lyrics:
Can you be my lover? - by Ben Jackson

Take it to the limit
Give me the time of my life
Show me what your feeling
Love is strong all through the night

Save me like an Angel
Broken in two and I lose my mind
Save me like an Angel
Never know what we'll find

I don't want to be
The last one standing here.
I don't want to be
wondering why

Can you be my lover?
Hearts will break if I have no other
Can you be my lover?
No more games at night

Oh the sun will rise again
Dreaming of yesterday
The moon will wait in silence
Lost in clouds far away

You know that I won't fall
You're all that I ever needed
Time is not a reason
Just the way things have proceeded.

Here's the full band version recorded live at the Gershwin room in St Kilda, Melbourne. I love the percussion at the end.




Here's another song I love... Down Came the Rain - the original studio recording with Russell Morris can be heard at Reverb Nation  - while your there you might also enjoy 'Dirty dirty disco', 'Facespace', 'Catch me if you can', and a haunting rendition of 'Angel in white.'

...or you can listen to a live recording here.






You can find him at Ben Jackson's Facebook page

For some of his DJ sets go to Soundcloud.

He's come a long way since 2008. Now he runs his own touring company for local and international acts too - HayJack touring

The biggest change since 2008 is how many love songs I actually enjoy listening to now.

Has anyone written a song, story or poem about you? What's your favourite love song.



***


I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Read more about:

 The A to Z challenge.  My theme and links to all 26 Greatest loves of my life.

28 comments:

  1. Some love songs are really good, but some can make you yawn. I understand what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the same can be said about the people who write them :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy love songs. They're better if less sappy. This song written for you is excellent. What an honor!

    A good friend of mine wrote a friendship song for me back in the later 70's. He later recorded it and I think he still plays it when he's doing concerts. The song is called "Faraway Friend". He and I rarely see each anymore because we live too far away from each other.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel honoured. I see my friend once a year, when I return to my homeland, but friends are friends no matter the distance. I just want to google 'Faraway Friend.' any chance someone would have recorded a live session of it? It would be so cool to have a song with that name as the theme for this challenge :)

      Delete
  3. How great to have a song written for you. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ida .. isn't that lovely and I love the first song - what a great rendition. Lucky you - what amazing memories to have .. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, the acoustic version reminds me of the first time he played it for me... I love where he has taken it to, but a singer songwriter, strumming a guitar in the privacy of my lounge room, is a little piece of heaven on earth for me.

      Delete
  5. awesome... I was like. singing this song as soon as I saw your post - "Ah, I love you like a love song baby"

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ida, what a precious memory! I've had plenty of poems written for me by my ex-es and I am sad to say I don't have them. Now I wish I had. One particular guy, who's still a very good friend was amazing.

    I love love songs!

    :-) Your series, when you announced your theme had me smiling, and it has me smiling now!

    Hugs

    Thank you for coming by my blog today - and your limerick was lovely!


    Vidya Sury
    Rocking the A to Z Challenge with Team Damyanti
    Limericks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vidya, how exciting to have had poetic ex's. I have one poem written for me - buy a customer I met only a few times. He was a professional poet and I find it very difficult to understand... Sadly he only signed it Peter P. so I can't find him now.

      Delete
  7. Wow, imagine being the inspiration for someone's song. This is great! I enjoyed listening to the song. He's a very talented musician/songwriter. Enjoying your theme of different loves.

    http://cattitudeandgratitude.blogspot.ca/2014/04/l-is-for-legendary-leftover-loup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I feel blessed.
      I'm glad you enjoyed the song. I couldn't agree with you more he is bursting with talent and I'm sure the best is yet to come... :)

      Delete
  8. Dear Ida;
    Seems that love songs are mainly about oneself...
    thank you,
    Susan
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend wrote a hauntingly beautiful love song. Generally, I'm more of a rocker but do appreciate a great ballad as well. ☺ I liked the other song too Ben has a great voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie... I originally was going to write that I liked my music a little more rock and a little less roll. There's a bit of rock and roll in the live version:)... Meatloaf did some ripper ballads :D

      Delete
  10. Great song. No, no one has ever written a song about me or a poem. My husband was a carpenter & owned his own company. Our friends were into construction, not the arts of any kind and any conversation (even at parties) revolved around who was building what. Lanny (my husband) was different in that he read books and magazines every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I love readers. The Captain is a carpenter by trade, I am sure you are surrounded by things inspired by you.

      Delete
  11. Makes me think of the song Love Song by Sara Bareilles. Still, that's cool someone wrote you a song. I'm not a fan of most sappy love songs, but it really depends on the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loni, I've listened to both now and I don't see the similarity between the two songs. Neither the lyrics nor the sound...but I enjoyed to both of them again - thanks.

      Delete
  12. Oh Ida, that just gave me chills. A love song by a friend for you and your partner. What an incredibly generous gift. I am so happy that it made you want to find and enjoy love songs. My Hub and I get so much from "our songs" whenever we hear them. Just a beautiful treasure you shared with us today. Love is in the air :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bemuzin I love those tingles. Just makes me smile thinking of some of 'our songs'.

      Delete
  13. My favorite love song has to be the one I danced to with my husband when we got married in the church. Moments aren't Moments by Dionne Warwick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rfQeOoHeLE Stevie Wonder actually wrote it. Love this song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful song, it has a fairytale feel to it. How romantical (I know you love that made up word

      Delete
  14. That's really cool! And I like the song, it has a haunting feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it as haunting before... so I listened to it again, and I could feel it :)

      Delete
  15. Eh.. no one has ever written a love song specifically for me. I think I missed out on something:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not to late... have you got kids teach them how to play music and maybe they can sort something out for you :) better still write your own song and make sure you send it to me if you do :)

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.