Wednesday 9 April 2014

26 Greatest loves of my life - Let's call her...Ida. #atozchallenge



Ida can be pronounced 'Ee-da' or 'Eye-da' and I answer to either or either. 

I still feel awkward saying it sometimes, but I've always loved it. 


Some of the nicknames I got as a kid were Idaho potato, Ida spider, Idadoody, I'da thought...

I generally answered with, "I'dA know... if I've heard that one before!'

Ida, sweet as apple cider - is a song from early 1900's.  A lot of old men have sung "Ida sweet as apple cider, oh how idolise her, indeed I do" incredibly off key to me, for as long as I can remember.






Many cultures claim ownership of the origin of the name Ida


In 11 century Germany, Saint Ida the patron saint of brides and widows is credited with teaching, that physical unity in marriage reflects spiritual unities. 

In greek mythology the nymph Ida protected Zeus as a baby, and the constellation Two bears is named in her honour. 

In Indian medicine Ida is aligned with moon energy. It controls the mental processes, and sits at the base of the kundalini.

In hindu mythology Ida is an androgynous Goddess of earth and a granter of blessings.

King Ida in 6th century Britain was the founder of a line of Anglo saxon royalty.

In Norse mythology Ida is a place at the centre of Earth where the most important decisions of the Gods are made. 


Ida - an asteroid with a moon named Dactyl
image courtesy of NASA/Public Domain

Other interesting facts (even if your name isn't Ida):


Ida is the name of the first asteroid discovered with it's own moon

Ida is the nickname of a 47 million year old fossil that is linked to the evolution of primates.

Growing up in Australia I never knew another Ida. It stopped being a popular name in America about 100 years ago. In most of Scandinavia it is one of the top 10 most popular girls names. 
I have taught myself to not turn around every time I hear my name being called at the supermarket or public events, since I moved to Denmark. 

For as long as I can remember I have said 'The I in Ida is the God in me.'

I was named after my Italian Grandmother (who I never met) and my Mother says it means glad or happy. Would you name your daughter Ida or Ida?

Does the origin of your name fascinate you?  Have you googled it's meaning?


***


I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Read more about:

 The A to Z challenge.  My theme and links to all 26 Greatest loves of my life.









26 comments:

  1. How interesting (as always) I love reading about the origins of names. How do your parents pronounce your name? I'm guessing "Ee-da?" In any case I like it and I would call my 3rd daughter Ida (have had 1st and 2nd daughter's names' on reserve for years).

    Lena wasn't very popular in Aus either but now it seems to be everywhere. My parents are Russian emigrants so they pronounce my name differently as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you call him 'the captain.' :)

      Delete
    2. I did a post on what to call him a long time ago... The Captain won. He likes it too :)

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing the meaning and the origin of your name. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to celebrate your name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought someone's name can have such wonderful origins ....good to know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning about the origin of names and words.

      Delete
  5. I love this post. I've never known (or needed to know) what Ida means or its origins but now I do, thanks :)
    #AtoZChallenge. http://virtuallyallsorts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome virtuallyallsorts - finding out little known facts is one of my fave things about the #atozchallenge

      Delete
  6. Hi Ida .. I'd pronounce your name your mother's way .. but what a great lot of snippets about your name. Another of those old fashioned names - which are tending to make a comeback .. I'd have never have guessed it was so popular in Scandinavia ..

    Great listening to Bing Crosby .. and Ida sweet as apple cider .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many interesting things about the name Ida. An asteroid with a moon no less.

    My name means Natal Day and was traditionally given to those whose birthday is near Christmas - I'm a Dec baby so it makes sense, although my twin is Sophie, so it could just be my mother read War and Peace :). She was convinced she was having boys so she had to come up with girls' names at the last minute ::g::.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know any of that about Ida. What an interesting name. I don't think it's popular in England or Canada these days. I did research my name once but don't remember much about it. I know it has religious connections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have gotten used to sharing it I hope it becomes popular again. I believe Jo is linked to the graciousness of God.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed learning about your name. Yeah, I have one of those names that inspired people to THINK they were being funny when they called me Wendy Windbag, Wendy the Witch, Wendy and Peter Pan. Zzzzzzzzz riiiiiiiiiight, never heard that one before zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Visiting from A to Z ~
    Wendy at Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'The I in Ida is the God in me' nothing else needs to be said! Again a wonderful post! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I have! Surprisingly, my first name means Follower of Christ, when I got married, the last name I took means "Trinity". So my name literally means Follower of Christ and the Trinity. I'd say that sums it up about right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does that make him the good guy or the bad guy? I was surprised by what I found behind the name Ida

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was terrific! I love the old song. There are so many good ones out there... My grandmother used to sing a song about Saraspunza to me. Hence, the nickname.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the song was in a key I could sing, I think as children we all love to hear stories and songs with our own name in them...

      Delete
  14. I question only the marriage part of her teachings, otherwise she is the one I was, most secretly proud of too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. It's cool that you know so much about your name. I've seen bookmarks with a supposed meaning for my name, but I haven't researched it at all. I might just have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chuck - ah my first reply got eaten... which gave me time to look up the meaning of Chuck - I always thought it was a modern American name - seems it has much deeper roots than I expected. If it wasn't for google I would probably still only know that Ida means glad and it was my granny's name :)

      Delete
  16. I think of you as 'Eye-da' .. I like the 'eye' in it and also the 'I'. Interesting post thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of myself the same way :) Ee-da sounds quite nice in the right language/accent too, and I love the ee-either or eye-either aspect of it. Thanks Susan

      Delete
  17. I only write under the name zoe...it was my birds name. My actual name is Lydia and has been murdered in an off tune version of a marx brothers tune for years..." Lydia the Tattood Lady'... unfortunately a tincture for menstrual cramps was also named Lydia Pinkham which was a favorite of some people as well.... I love the name now but as a kid not so much.

    I have very positive associations with the name Ida . I was befriended by a lovely woman and her husband when I was a teen having a hard time. Ida and Harold... they were surrogate grandparents ... I would name a kid Ida in a heartbeat because it has such good juju between you and she!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe (Lydia) though I think I'll stick to writing your writing name too - I've always liked Lydia, it's definitely a name someone needs to grow into - but I love Zoe - I have a thing for short names :) - Your Ida sounds wonderful - I have had a few surrogates in my life (both grandparents/ parents and children) Juju - I think that's a cool name too :D

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.