Sunday, 2 April 2017

B is for Bread without the Bloat. #atozchallenge



This ain't no recipe blog so I'll the share the links to the two bread recipes we have tried and enjoyed below.

While both breads are high in (good) fats they have very little carbohydrates, which makes these recipes perfect for anyone who prefers to eat a low carb, high fat diet.

While it may seem ridiculous to consider a diet high in fat to lose excess fat, it begins to make more sense when you consider how fat and carbohydrates work as a fuel source in our body.  Carbs will always be burned first and both fat and carbs will be stored as fat if you take in more fuel than you require.

I say don't blame butter for what the bread did.  In a perfect world a balanced diet would be ideal, but it can be very difficult to get that balance right. Elimination has helped us. We've just done 3 months of minimal carbs ( (20 grams a day from vegetables) and the results have been astounding. We feel great and our bodies are burning our own energy reserves of stored fat for fuel. That means weight loss. Life is good.

I don't miss bread but it is convenient especially when eating with friends and family. So we made our own low carb bread. A few of the 'not so usual' ingredients used to make a variety of low carb breads include.

Flax seeds
Psyllium Husks
Coconut flour
Almond Flour
Sesame flour

Flax bread was our first attempt. It resembles the dark rye bread folk like to eat here in Denmark and we loved it. Remember a little goes a long way. It is more filling than traditional bread and lasts a long time in the fridge. I love it spread with avocado and a sprinkling of chili flakes on top.

Okay I have lost the link to bread number 2 which had psyllium husk in it. It was less dense but equally delicious.  I do know I found it through this link which has no less than 53 low carb bread recipes.

Once you have the ingredients on hand low carb breads are surprisingly quick and easy to make.

Have you experimented with low carb breads before or is this something you will probably never attempt?

Happy Challenge



***

I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter


Add me to your circles on Google+ 



2 comments:

  1. High fiber is sometimes irritating to my innards, but I value the lower carb bread options. Thanks for sharing.
    My Virtual Vineyard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never attempted to make bread. But I do love bread. Not sure about the low carb breads. I struggle with healthy stuff.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.