Thursday, 14 April 2016

K, L, M is for Kyphosis, Lordosis and Mobility. #atozchallenge

Get fit or die trying.




This weekend I have 4 group classes in 24 hours. Friday morning I have a circuit group. Friday night I'm subbing for one of the indoor bike instructors. Saturday morning I have a body sculpting group at 8.30am followed by my first new time slot cycle group at 9:45am. 

A seasoned professional would have a plethora of workout routines and playlists at the ready, and enough mobility in all her muscles to breeze through the extra routines with maybe a bit of extra muscle soreness over the next few days. 

I've mentioned my physical challenges in previous posts. I am only six months in to my career as a fitness instructor and for three of those months I was on holiday. 

I need to free up some time this weekend so today you get K late, L on time and M early - all in one post.




Kyphosis is the excessive outward curvature of the upper spine or sacrum (fused bones at the base.) Commonly referred to as hunchback in the upper spine.

I have been diagnosed with a mild case of lumbar (lower) hyper- (excessive) lordosis (normal inward curvature of the spine.) Commonly referred to as sway back, hollow back or saddle back.

There are many exercises like bridges and supermans that will help both conditions. Foam rollers and resistance bands are used a lot in corrective exercises. Google image both words to start a search for extra ideas.


Mobility is the ability to move or be moved freely and easily. 

Before my career change I was very immobile. I have several joints, nerves and muscles that complain loudly when I ask too much of them. The key is to ask gently and show your muscles what they are capable by briefly and regularly pushing them to their limit. 

The best thing for mobility is keeping in shape and occasional pain relief. Strength and balance exercises are keys to rehabilitation and maintenance. 

The sit down test has been all over the net for the last few weeks. All you have to do (hahaha) is sit down in a cross legged position and stand back up again without using anything to balance you on the way up or down. Start with 10 points. You lose 1 point for touching the ground with your knees or hands and half a point for losing balance anywhere along the way. Studies show higher points relate to longer life expectancy. Here's part two of a video that shows what the test is all about and more importantly how to improve you score... 




Here's another link that debunks the tests but gives more tips to improving your strength and balance. Core wellness link 

That's it for today and the rest of the week. K for kyphosis, L for Lordosis and M for mobility. See you Monday for the letter N.



***

I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***







2 comments:

  1. Ida, Its Zoe . I sent you an email... but stopped by here... THis is a fabulous theme! Congrats on the new fitness position! Being a physical therapist, this stuff is my bag ! Take care and I will return because I want to catch up on the rest of the alphabet! xo Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever use of time, I'm pancking about Q a bit, not written and killer week at work after spending 4 days at my "F" - might need a brainwave!

    Mars xx
    @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.