Sunday, 27 March 2016

A to Z Challenge. Theme reveal. Get fit or die trying!


GET FIT OR DIE TRYING






It's A - Z time again. Every weekday in April starting with the letter A on the 1st, and ending with Z on the 30th a group of bloggers from all around the world choose a theme (or not) and participate in the A-Z blogging challenge (now in it's seventh year.) It's a month of daily blogging - minus Sundays - 

This year my theme is: 

 GET FIT OR DIE TRYING

and here's why:

I generally always write about what is happening in my here and now. 

This time last year I was 25kgs overweight, unfit and in daily pain. There is some truth in the saying that 'it is better to have a weak mind than a weak back.'
I remember saying the only way I was ever going to get fit again was if I started working at a gym. I knew myself well enough to know that a gym membership alone wouldn't motivate me. 

And typical of the way my thoughts manage to manifest my reality, a brand new gym opened up very close to home. 

They advertised for fitness instructors and offered the education at a discounted price. I emailed and asked if they were prepared to accept an unhealthy, unfit and overweight woman in her forties.  

The owner said her philosophy was to accept all shapes and sizes and welcomed me with open arms. She encouraged me to do the indoor cycling/spinning instructors course, power suspension and group training as well as the basic fitness instructors course.  

At first I said no to Spinning and... 'what's power suspension?' 

People either love or hate Spinning, and I was a definite hater. Somehow she convinced me I would be doing her a favour because she was afraid there wasn't enough instructors, and I could at least jump in as a sub if I had the education. The huge discount helped too. How lucky am I - It's possibly my favourite activity now.

In truth the education didn't stress me too much. I knew the anatomy and physiology would be easier than anything I learned in Nursing and Reflexology. I'm no stranger to teaching and I  have a pile of dusty sports awards and trophies from my youth. Passing the courses was a manageable goal. 

The first challenge would be walking in the door and presenting myself to my new and very much stronger, younger and fitter peers and feel as if I belonged there too. 

My second biggest challenge was learning everything in a language I didn't yet have a firm grasp of.  

By the end of the year I became qualified. I'm still not a fan of jumping jacks and I don't always put my all into every workout; but I stick firm with 50% effort is better than sitting at home on the sofa...  Sitting really is the new smoking as far as detrimental health effects go. 

Six months ago, I couldn't do a single basic squat properly anymore. Ankles, knees, hips, everything was out of alignment.  

Last week I did 3 laps of jumping squats (about 30) in a row. Yes jumping... and yes there is still a lot of pain. The difference is whether or not the pain is because your muscles are growing from activity or becoming weaker from inactivity.  

This years theme will be related to everything fitness...  I'm a strong believer in perfect form, progression and alternatives for the weakest and strongest in the group. Even experts can benefit from back to basics.  I'll also be adding some of my favourite music and some youtube videos that have inspired me.  Except for the theme reveal and reflections post at the end the posts will be short...  much shorter than this. I don't want to sit so long anymore.

To date I've lost 4 kg's... since January. It's a journey and not always a happy one. I am already mourning the loss of some of my favourite clothes and dreading the day I need to spend a fortune on new bra's again.  Either way I'm gonna enjoy the ride hope you do to. 






I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 

Learn more about:

 The A to Z challenge here.





5 comments:

  1. Ida is this you? This is fabulous! so pleased to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dear Susan it is me... :) what a bother this changing URL's is - Thanks for being my first commenter at the new site. Are you doing the challenge - I'll pop over and check.

      Delete
  2. Yay was so glad you're signed up again and I've just subscribed to your new URL too.

    Congrats on the fitness job, love the reveal and the reasons why and can't wait to read your A to Z this year, I've only just signed up last night as wasn't sure I could committ this year but looking forward to catching up.

    Mars xx
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mars.... I was pretty sure I was going to pull out last night but have changed my mind.. working on my first post now... Looking forward to catching up with you too and thanks

      Delete
    2. I decided to do it because I like the connections with other bloggers, but have had to give myself a good talking to that it's okay *not* to have "amazing" posts everyday - I was so pleased with my series last year that I think I had a bit of writers block thinking it had to live up to that... in reality what I need to do is just deal with it one post at a time and not prejudge myself so much.

      I've written a bit but have big gaps everywhere, and quite a few posts I'm not sure of but am going to start and see wehre it goes!

      Glad you're staying, but good to have found the new URL too :)

      Take care
      Mars xx

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.