Thursday, 31 March 2016

A is for Assessment. #atozchallenge

GET FIT OR DIE TRYING.






A is for Assessment.

The first step in knowing how to tailor a fitness program to suit individual needs is a few basic questions.


Name: Ida 

Age:  Fabulous forties ('coulda woulda shoulda' been more fabulous, if only I'd have remembered to take better care of myself.)

Occupation:  Ex: Sports (Netball and softball) umpire and coach. Faults and Emergencies dispatch officer for statewide electricity company, sailor (steward and cook.) Nurse. Occupational health and safety and First Aid trainer.  Current: Expat (Australian living in Denmark,) reflexologist, writer, and most recently fitness instructor (including indoor cycling and group training.)

Training goals: Lose weight. Get fit. Increase mobility. Reduce or eliminate pain and stress levels.

Weight:  According to BMI charts morbidly obese but I'm only 150cm or 5 foot tall. According to clothes racks, large doesn't fit.  Plus sizes don't fit me either because the fashion industry thinks only tall people that need really, really big arm holes are plus size. Dear fashion industry short people have large breasts too. 

Injuries/Illness:  

Mental - Chronic lack of motivation. 
                            
Physical - Back, caused by old injury, weight gain and inactivity (spending loads of time sitting in front a computer...on the sofa or in bed.) Foot numbness on exertion due to nerve pressure when inflamed. Several old injuries that love to flair up when I feel like I'm enjoying getting fit again.

Amount of time you can allocate to fitness every week: I have and used many reasons and excuses to not train. Including there are no private showers in Danish gyms! I can 'TRY' to commit to 2- 3 sessions a week, more if they have great group training sessions. What am I going to wear? - Maybe I'll just start with 2... 1.  Do I have to?

Favourite training/sport/exercise: Basically everything. I was that little girl you saw skating and doing gymnastics up and down the street - one armed when I was in plaster x 3. Also the kid that learned to ride a bike by herself and won every bike race against the neighbours. Always had a ball of some sort in my hands. (Representative level softball, netball, tennis, cricket.) Running, jumping, skipping, lousy swimmer but loved it, shooting hoops. Throwing, kicking, bouncing and climbing. When I wasn't performing tricks on the monkey bars (more than 400 round-the-worlds at lunchtime once,) I was always up a tree. I also won best senior female sports award x 3. The school closed in the early 90's and no-one broke that record. Then there was also a green belt in Karate once upon a time.

Least favourite: I stopped doing everything on my favourite list... The starting position of a round-the-world hurts too much to attempt doing one! It's been a few years since I showed off handstands and cartwheels to little girls desperate to learn how - hate when my t-shirt falls up and reveals my big tummy and my wrists protest too much. Especially don't like jumping or anything that involves too much bouncing - please refer to large chest comment made earlier.  


***

I knew the only way I was ever going to get to a gym again was to work in one.  A fancy new one opened up in my tiny town less than a month later. They put out the call for reduced cost training in exchange for work that I felt compelled to answer. 

It feels much more like I put out the initial call. 


How does your fitness assessment look?



***


I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 






22 comments:

  1. Definitely with you on the whole stereotypical short people can't have boobs thing! I hate clothes shopping as I'm not a typical shape!

    Mars xx
    Mars @TrollbeadBlog from
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we should be grateful that things aren't as bad as they used to be... and I had a mum that taught me to sew

      Delete
  2. Great post! And I'm in my so-so fabulous fifties and I need to get to the gym too. So this really speaks to me-- on dare I say it? A gut level. How many salads must I eat? I look forward to reading more! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my page.

    Best,
    Bathsheva (#1535)
    bathshevagladstone.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Batsheva. Hardly any salads at all if you like veggies... but veggies taste good in salad too. :D

      Delete
  3. OMG...mine is almost as bad, maybe worse,'cos I have never ever been good at any sport! Well, I am waiting for your B to see what you come up with! Cheers and smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kala, you made me laugh. A woman at the gym this morning said I was skinny...she was comparing me to herself. It's true there is always someone worse off than you. :)

      Delete
  4. not as thorough as yours. My assessment is is don't get bigger I have a wedding dress yo fit into in June :D
    @Daisy from
    Daisyinthe willows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Daisy. I noticed a couple of bridal workouts while I was surfing today. this one looks hard Abs and Arms

      Delete
  5. Great post!! I'm looking forward to reading more. :) I need to start taking care of my body. I'm young and my metabolism still likes me, but it won't always and I need to be prepared. :D My mama is a reflexologist, so I think that's awesome. And I'm a writer. Great to meet you, and happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just commented on your A is for all in post. When it comes to fitness all in is a good philosophy. It's never to early to start taking care of your body, a lot is better than a little but a little is better than none :)

      Delete
  6. My fitness assessment? Uh... not that far from yours. I'm another 40-something, 150-something centimeters who doesn't fit into a bit part of my wardrobe. Neck problems, otherwise not much (save from average laziness). I do go to the gym semi-regularely, but give up too easy when I catch a cold. I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50% of the effort is just showing up - even if it is just semi regularly. I tried to avoid blaming my chronic lack of motivation on laziness... I'm sure laziness is a blessing in this 'I'm so busy' world we live in. :) Thanks for sharing and I hope you don't catch any more colds this year. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm in my late 30s, and usually only get to work out once a week at the gym. I love to ride a bike, but don't currently own one, and walking in my town is unfortunately quite boring -- the whole town can be traversed in about 30 minutes! So yeah, I've been looking for some alternatives to get me out of the house. A friend does Aikido, and there is a chance to visit her studio tonight, so I might have to see what it's all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, Aikido sounds like fun. The main thing is to find something you can enjoy, a training partner helps keep you motivated too. Does your gym have a spinning or indoor bike class?

      Delete
  8. My six-month "surgery leave" from the gym expires in four days and then I'd better get back because they are charging me again. I hate going to the gym. I'd rather get my exercise walking in the fresh air, but at my age I know I shouldn't be doing that alone anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, check out my B is for bodyweight exercises tomorrow...you are absolutely right some sort of strength training is important, but walking is better than nothing. There is plenty of strength training you can do without joining a gym.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi D - realising you need one is good start

      Delete
  10. Fitness programme? Don't even go there. You don't want to know. LOL
    I had to laugh out loud when I read: "Dear fashion industry short people have large breasts too."
    Have fun on the A to Z circuit!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. The large majority of my forty plus years have been lived without a regime... I'm guessing the rest of my life will be the same... I have started doing things like sideways squats to pick things up off the floor (every little bit helps)

      Delete
  11. I am going to follow your blog...hoping that it will inspire me....I ,too,suffer from chronic lack of motivation !
    Maya Varde from
    About books and certain other things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing if it makes a difference thanks Maya

      Delete

Feedback and your own stories are welcome.